Saturday, September 20, 2014

Quiche- a Whole30 experiment

Some time during the second week of your Whole30 experience, you're going to get extremely tired of scrambled or hard-boiled eggs. So what do you do?
Well, we made a quiche.

I know, I know. Quiche has milk or cream. Not to mention a flour crust. But I seemed to have got past those little hurdles...although I am still experimenting. Here's what I have come up with so far:







And here's how it went:



I'm going to call that a win. Right?
It's not as thick as a regular quiche. Which also translates into lack of milk equals lack of moisture. But overall, I think I might be able to remedy that using almond milk for the next experiment. Until then, this is really pretty, don't you think?


And as always, Frank's Red Hot Sauce is W30 approved, so pour that sh!t on everything! (I love that commercial! It just cracks me up!)

Anyway- I digress....back to the quiche.
Now, a regular quiche usually has a flour crust of some sort. But since wheat products are a no-no, I decided to just use a little almond flour and pat it into the pie dish. I then sprayed a little cooking oil over it and baked it for about 10 minutes...just long enough to form a 'makeshift' crust to hold the egg mixture.

Then I mixed up my eggs and fillings and poured it in, baked until the eggs were firm and it was done.


It really couldn't be simpler.  The best part about it is you can let eat it for several mornings' breakfasts' or do it for an afternoon lunch. It stays well in the fridge for about 2 days. I made mine Thursday night so Grau could have it Friday morning for breakfast. Today is Saturday and there's one piece left. (He'll probably eat it for lunch or as a snack later today.)

I am so proud of Grau! He started his Whole30 adventure the day after Labor Day and has already lost 18 pounds! You can't argue with that kind of results. Whole30 is healthy. Not like those other fly-by-night 'diet' programs. Nope. Whole30 is really a change in diet. Meaning, it's for good. What you eat is your diet. A 'diet program' is something you do for a short period of time and then stop (usually only to have to try another diet program because you gained back the weight.)
Myself, I've lost 34 lbs so far. And I'm not hungry. I feel good. And that's what it's all about.

OK...back to the quiche. You can really use any filler ingredients you like. I used chicken and broccoli and carrots. Feel free to change up your fillers!

FLOURLESS QUICHE

6 eggs
1 carrot, shredded
1 chicken breast, grilled and diced
3 oz fresh broccoli
Salt and pepper to taste.
Almond Flour, about 1/2 cup

As I said, I used almond flour for a crust. Just put it in your pie pan, and pat it flat and up the sides about half-way. Spray with a little bit of oil, then bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Remove from oven.

Meanwhile, as your 'shell' is baking, mix the rest of the ingredients together. Add spices to taste (I just used pepper and a hint of salt).

Once your pie shell is out of the oven, pour egg mixture into pie shell and place it back into the oven until eggs are firm- about 30 - 40 minutes. But keep an eye on it. Sometimes if you use small eggs it takes less time to bake than if you used large eggs.

As I said earlier, this is a little dry, so if you want to experiment, try adding 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk...maybe with a little Franks! :)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment