Monday, December 15, 2014

World's Best and Easiest Potato Leek Soup

I am not kidding. I threw this into a pot, sauteed a bit, stirred a bit, threw more ingredients in, let boil, blended smooth, and added the creamy stuff to the end and I was done.


It took me an hour, but only because I kept forgetting I was cooking. So this recipe is very forgiving, too. I like that in a recipe!




Doesn't that look just divine? Oooey, gooey, cheesy goodness on top of the best soup....oh, and bacon. Ya gotta have bacon.

So- here's what ya do:
Grab yourself one onion, about six garlic cloves, four idaho potatoes (I used four, but in my defense, one of them was bigger than a truck....okay, maybe not a real truck, but definitely one of those toy trucks...like two and a half regular sized potato it was!), one leek, 3 cans of chicken broth, one green onion, a dash of chili powder and one package of cream cheese. Oh, and shredded cheddar and bacon for toppings, if you prefer, and I *always* prefer!

Basically, saute your onion in a dash of oil, add the garlic, and two minutes later add the broth, green onion and taters. Let boil, add the diced leek, and let boil again. Simmer for a while. I went and watched Jeopardy! (I love that show!) When everything is nice and tender, blend it well (I used a stick blender, but you could use a regular blender...just be careful of hot soup splash!), and finally, the cream cheese and chili powder. Serve warm...because hot burns your tongue. Trust me.



POTATO LEEK SOUP
4 large potatoes, chopped (I left skin on 1, peeled the other 3)
1 Leek, washed and diced.
1 whole gr onion, diced
1 medium onion, diced
6 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp chili powder
dash oil
3 cans chicken broth
8 oz cream cheese
Saute onion in oil. Add garlic. cook 2 minutes.
Add broth, green onions, and potatoes. Cook until soft.
Add leek. Cook until soft. Add chili powder.
Add cream cheese (I dice mine before adding....it seems to melt better...oh, and you can totally use 1/2 cup half-n-half or heavy whipping cream, but I like the cream cheese better)
Blend with stick blender (or regular blender, just be wary of hot soup splash)
Serve with shredded cheese and bacon bits.
Total time- about 30-45 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. as soon as I saw tins of soup I switched off from this recipe

    ReplyDelete