Sunday, January 24, 2016

Beef Bourguignon...ok, Beef Noir

I attempted Beef Bourguignon tonight.  I say attempted because while I made something, Beef Bourguignon is probably not what it should be called in reality.

I got up early this morning and chopped up celery, carrots, onions, and the beef...then marinated it in Pinot Noir (same grape, less expensive wine since Burgundy wine *must* come from the Burgundy region in France to be called Burgundy)...

I took pictures of the ingredients, the veggies,



and the beef...

then another set of pictures as I put it into the bowl to marinate and go into the fridge...


...Oh! This is going to be epic! Beef Bourguignon, my first time! I was so excited....

...and then I started browning the beef, and cooking the bacon,  the new veggies, and then I put in the stock, and the reserved wine, and into the oven it goes...


...and I forgot to take pictures along the way....and I forgot to reduce the wine by half before adding the stock and putting it in the oven....

...and have I mentioned how much of an absent minded professor type I am? Yeeeah. A lot. Sometimes I would forget my head if it wasn't attached. But- in my defense, I did take pictures of the finished product....that's got to be worth something, right?



So, I guess this batch of Beef Noir is going to be the test, 'what not to do' batch. I'm sure it will still be tasty. Just...more soupy than planned. Sheesh!


But you know what? It might not be Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon, but it was still fabulous!
 Bon Appetit!



BEEF NOIR

4-5 lbs beef (I used bottom round)
carrots
celery
garlic
onion
Beef stock
bay leaves
Tomato paste
1 bottle Pinot Noir
more carrots, celery and garlic, some red potatoes, crimini mushrooms, pearl onions, 1/2 lb bacon (cut small) and a couple more bay leaves.
Salt and pepper to taste.

I marinated the beef in the bottle of noir with sliced carrots, celery, garlic, two small onions, sliced and a few bay leaves.
Once marinated for 10-12 hours, remove beef, toss out the veggies, and keep the wine/marinating liquid.

LIGHTLY flour and brown the beef until just brown on all sides. Use a little olive oil if needed to brown the beef.
Remove beef and cook bacon in same dutch oven (or large baking pot). Add pearl onions, carrots, tomato paste (about 1/2 a small can), garlic, celery and bay leaves.
Return beef to the pot.

Add wine/marinade and 2 cans beef stock to the pot.
Bake at 350 for 2 hours.
Add chunky diced red potatoes and mushrooms (halved) and continue cooking for 30 more minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Serve with crusty bread.




No comments:

Post a Comment