Saturday, January 2, 2016

The Best Darn Curry Powder You've Ever Tasted!


I'm not usually a huge fan of curry. I like it. I don't necessarily love it.
At least, not until I started making my own curry. In Indian and Southeast Asian cuisine, each region, and sometimes family, had their own recipe for curry. It's about as diverse and varied as your Uncle Jim's bbq rub he swears is the best.
Same with curry. Every region/family made
their own, to their liking. Family recipes for curry were usually handed down from mom to daughter, and adjusted to dad's tastes when a couple married (I mean come on! HIS mom's was the best, right!)

Anyway, I came across this recipe to make my own curry and I haven't bought store-made since. If I could remember where I got this recipe, I would credit them.

This is a basic curry. I've adjusted my curry to my family's tastes, so you can too.
For instance, we like a bit less cinnamon, a bit more mustard, and a tad bit of heat so we add cayenne (chili plants were not introduced into India until sometime around the late 15th century). No matter! You can modify this basic recipe to however you wish. Whatever your tastes, do it!

Now, I use an old coffee grinder, and I can only make a double batch at a time as my grinder won't hold much more. Also, be aware you want a dedicated spice grinder, as turmeric and cumin will stain and flavor your grinder (especially plastic grinders!)

Because I make a lot of my own spices, I've started a spice business called Apothecarius (as you can see by my label). I hope soon to have my spice blends available for public purchase although they currently are not available. When the business gets off the ground, I'll be sure to let you know!

Most ingredients for curry can be found in your local grocery store's ethnic food or spice section. If you're looking online, Amazon is a good place to try.


BASIC CURRY

1 Bay Leaf
1/2 tsp Black Mustard Seeds
5 tsp Corriander Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
5 Cloves
2 tsp Turmeric
1.5" Cinnamon Stick

Grind in blender or spice grinder until smooth. Modify to your tastes after trying this first basic recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment