Thursday, January 20, 2011

Culinary Adventures


I love to cook. Have I mentioned that before? Well, I do. And if you are like me, you like to try new things. Not just for my own taste bud's sake, but to see if I can make whatever it is and have it come out right.

I usually can't.

I seem to have this thing...if I follow a recipe exactly, it comes out awful! So I must always change it, add something, delete something...whatever. Today I made Brazilian Black Bean Soup. First off, I love soup. (Oh, and just so you know, soup is NOT supposed to be cold. All soup must be hot. That's my rule.)
Soup makes you feel good.
It warms the tummy as well as the heart.
It says, 'I love you enough that I slaved over this stove for, oh, maybe 20 minutes.'

Add a side of French or Italian bread and you have the makings of a wonderful Winter afternoon.

So, without further ado, here is my Brazilian Black Bean Soup:

Dash of oil in the bottom of a soup or large sauce pot
1 (or 2 if you like) chopped onions
1 carrot chopped (I used about 12 baby carrots)
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped (I slice it into 4th's lengthwise then chop)
6-10 chopped garlic cloves (to taste, basically)
Simmer for 10 minutes

Then add
1 can Beef Stock
2 can's Black Beans (undrained)
2 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp canned chipotle peppers (I use chili powder if I'm out of peppers)

Simmer for 30 mins. Use a hand blender to blend to desired consistency. I usually remove 1 or 2 cups of soup, blend the rest, then add it back.

Serve with dollop of sour cream and diced tomatoes if you wish.



No comments:

Post a Comment