Saturday, March 8, 2014

Absolutely Easy Peasy Yet Fantastic Chicken Enchiladas


Yeah, I totally made that name up. But it's true. Really it is.
And while I do make my own salsa, you can too. Or buy *cough* *cough* store bought. That's fine. Although I cannot vouch for the taste if you do.
I usually make a double batch of enchiladas because, well, a single batch just isn't enough for two growing boys and Grau. Seriously.  The last time I made these, I only slightly increased the amounts and made 13 enchiladas, and Grau's elderspawn ate eight on his own. I know! EIGHT! Wow.





Absolutely Easy Peasy Yet Fabulous Chicken Enchiladas
Makes 8-10 enchiladas

1 chicken breast, grilled and fork shredded
1/2 cup salsa*
1 c shredded cheddar cheese, divided
8 tortillas
3 T butter
1/8 c flour
1 can chicken broth
1 cup sour cream




Ok- so once you have your chicken grilled and shredded, add the salsa and  half the cheddar cheese. Mix well.

Place a goodly amount on a tortilla, roll up and place in 9 x 13" pan, seam side down.


Do this until no chicken remains. Like I said --I make double batches, so I end up with 16-20 enchiladas in two pans. If you plan to do this too, double the ingredients.



Melt butter in pot.


Add Flour- make a rue



Add chicken broth and stir until no lumps and it just starts to thicken. Turn off heat.
Don't judge!! I usually make my own chicken broth....but I was out and this was already in my supply room.


Add sour cream. Mix until melted.



                                           Pour over enchiladas.

Add remaining cheddar cheese


Bake at 350' until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated through. Serve with chips, rice, beans whatever!

















Now- if you cannot make your own great salsa- at least open some cans-
take 1 large can of diced tomatoes,
add 1 can rotel
1 diced onion
40 cloves of garlic
two palmfuls of cumin
a good dash of lime juice
One bunch of cilantro
and 2 jalapenos.
Blend until well blended. Place in jar in fridge for a couple hours until it melds together. Done.
Use this in your chicken!





No comments:

Post a Comment