Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I've Got a Blueberry for a Daughter

Well, not really. She's more of a lemon pie- half sweet, half tart, but always delivers.
I was really referring to Willy Wonka, the 1974 version. My favorite. I mean, Johnny Depp is awesome and all, but Gene Wilder will always be Wonka to me. (Violet! You're turning violet, Violet!) Okay, enough with the Wonk-isms.

So- I was pinteresting the other day, and came across a recipe for 2-ingredient lemon squares.  And I thought, I like lemon, but what would happen if I made blueberry instead?  Would it turn out the same?
Or would it blow up because blueberries have some secret chemical in them that when it encounters Angel Food cake mix just goes KaBooM!??! (I don't think they do, but you never know!)

What are the two simple ingredients?


Of course, you can use practically any canned pie filling you want, I would think. As long as the can has at least 14 oz in it. The more the filling, the denser (is that a word?? Well, it is now) the end result.

I think the next time I try this, I will use the lemon pie filling, and the next time, I will use strawberry. I really like how this turned out. It's perfect as a breakfast bite with your morning coffee or afternoon tea.

Just mix the two ingredients (Angel food cake mix and a can of pie filling) in a bowl and pour into greased 9x13 pan. If you over-mix it, it gets REALLY fluffy in the bowl (don't ask!).

Bake at 350 degrees until the top is firm in the middle. I thought mine would take about 20 minutes, but it took around 27, so keep an eye on yours after the first 20 minutes.

And don't be afraid when your masterpiece goes all Marshmallow Man and looks like it will bubble up and spill over the sides of your baking dish. That's normal.

Once baked, set aside to cool for at least 30 minutes.
About half-way through the cooling process, I decided to dust with powdered sugar. And I am glad I did. It absolutely *makes* this dish perfect. Really it does. Just trust me on this.


Of course, blueberry isn't the most pretty thing when baked...unless it's in a pie covered with Breyer's Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Then it's to die for!
Still, this dessert/snack came out great. And if you want, you could even warm up a slice and serve it with ice cream after a Sunday dinner.



Beautiful, no? I would suggest eating with a fork, it gets really dense and moist after it cools.  Grau thought this was heaven. He didn't think he would like it, but as it turns out, he thinks it's pretty fantastic. I believe I hit on another winning recipe!



No comments:

Post a Comment