Saturday, September 1, 2012

DIY Homemade Italian Seasoning



I make a lot of things from scratch. Italian Seasoning is no exception.  This easy recipe can be made in a few minutes and stored in an airtight jar for up to 6 months. Of course, mine doesn't last that long! I use it a lot. 
Over potatoes. In a casserole. On chicken. You name it. It's fabulous. And the best part? YOU control the ingredients and salt content! What's not to love about that?


Here's the basic recipe- feel free to alter it any way you like:

2T Celery Flakes
2T Thyme
2T Basil
2T Onion Powder
2T Parsley Flakes
2T Cilantro (a little strange, I know. Trust me on this)
2T Garlic Powder 
2T Oregano Leaves (Or ground if that's all you have)
1T Black Pepper
1/2 t Red Pepper Flakes (optional- totally optional!)

I only had garlic salt on hand (I know- For shame!), so that's what I used. But then added the powder later- a lot of garlic, yes. But I love garlic. So it works for me.
I know I don't have salt in this recipe. And if you must have it, I would recommend using the Garlic salt OR using 1 teaspoon table salt and then making sure you use garlic powder.


The less salt you eat, the better off you are. There's already so much salt in the foods you buy that to add it to something like this is really unnecessary. The bonus is that once you reduce the amount of salt you eat by increasing the good spices, you will no longer be able to eat a lot of junk foods. They have GOBS of salt in them and salt numbs your taste buds.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to enjoy not to mention taste the food I eat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment