Monday, June 27, 2016

Healthy Summer Fresh Fruit Salad


Oh how I love strawberries. I really do. When they are out of season, I purchase the big bag of frozen strawberries from the wholesale club.
I also love blueberries. Back when I was a wee lass, my family took our vacations 'back east' to Nova Scotia for mom's family reunions. I loved them. Especially since grammie had wild blueberries growing on her property. I remember many hours with grammie spent in her kitchen along with my aunts making blueberry jam from scratch. Yes, blueberries bring back fond memories for me.



Well, I was down to my last few frozen strawberries, a pineapple that desperately needed cutting up, and time on my hands.
I looked around at the fruit on hand and decided to throw together this simple, fresh, fruit salad.
It screams summer. It really does...and healthy?  Talk about getting your daily allowance of fruit! You'll need someone nearby to take the bowl out of your hands and spoon out of your mouth.

I find myself going to the fridge and grabbing a small bowl of this fruit salad at least three times a day. I hope you love it as much as I do. This salad is so versatile. You can use honey and add basil, you can add a pinch of cinnamon and honey. You could even add a dash of nutmeg or even some mint.

Amounts can be varied to your liking, but the basic is this:

5 strawberries, cut in half or quarters, lengthwise.
1 banana
3/4 c blueberries
1/2 fresh pineapple, sliced in small chunks
2T sugar (or sweetener of choice like stevia or honey)
Pinch salt

For the bananas, have a bowl of 1/4 c lemon juice and 1 c water handy. Slice bananas directly into lemon water and let sit until done slicing rest of fruits.
Slice fruits and place in large bowl.
Drain lemon water off bananas.
Add bananas to rest of fruit in bowl.
Add sugar and salt
Stir.
Refrigerate for at least an hour. The sugar and salt helps pull liquid out of the fruit creating its own syrup. Which is fabulous, very lightly sweet and a perfect coating for the fruit.



Serve with or without whip cream. (I prefer mine without.)
This is also a great side dish to burgers or bbq!

PS-Why lemon water? Well, it helps keep the bananas from turning brown and adds another layer of fresh.


No comments:

Post a Comment