Saturday, September 13, 2014

Almond Satay

As I was perusing recipes this morning, I ran across Satay....a wonderful Thai peanut sauce to serve with grilled chicken...very Thai....very good.



Except, on Whole 30 peanuts are a no no. As is the soy sauce and brown sugar. Both prohibited on Whole 30. So I wondered long and hard...could I make a Satay using almond butter instead?
Why not? I thought. It may not be as sweet as the original peanut satay, but I've been doing Whole 30 for a while now and sweetness is not a requirement any longer. I'm happy to say I prefer flavorful over sweet, any day.



So I got to work finding a satay recipe that had minimal sugars in it, and ended up taking the best of four separate satay recipes and combining them then  adding my own touches.


I am happy to report this satay turned out beautifully. The fiance loved it (who is also doing Whole30) and remarked that while it may not be as sweet as the original, it definitely is a keeper. According to him, there's a huge shortage of dipping sauces for Whole30 participants. And he's right.
This satay is smooth and flavorful and has a bit of a kick. So what's not to love about that?



Almond Satay

1 T olive oil
1 T Sesame Oil
1 tsp Red pepper flakes (more if you like it really spicy)
1/2 - 2/3 c diced white onion (if you like onion flavor, use 2/3)
3 cloves garlic, minced (I used a fine grater)
1 1/2 t minced ginger (or 1 tsp ground)
1/2 tsp Franks Red Hot Sauce (optional)

Add to a small pot and cook over medium heat until onions are tender. Maybe 5 mins.
Then add:

1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 c Almond butter (no sugar)
1/2 cup water*
1 small tomato, diced really really fine
2 tsp lime juice

Mix well,,,,use a stick blender if you have one. If not, you can use a food processor or Ninja type blender.
* water is to thin out the sauce as almond butter tends to be very thick. You can add a little more or a little less, depending on how fluid you wish your sauce to be.

Once blended, serve warm (or cool) with slices of grilled chicken. Fabulous!


No comments:

Post a Comment